Bug report: Killing a native process may not actually kill it

Kaz Kylheku 920-082-4242@kylheku.com
Wed Aug 28 22:43:00 GMT 2019

On 2019-08-28 08:59, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:
> --On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 6:45 PM +0200 Corinna Vinschen
> <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
>
>> Not likely.  Cygwin handles Ctrl-C by generating SIGINT.  This only
>> works reliably with Cygwin processes.  There's
>>
>>   $ /bin/kill -f <PID>
>>
>> to call the Win32 function TerminateProcess(pid) on a non-Cygwin
>> process or an unresponsive Cygwin process.
>
> As I noted, it was not unique to control-C.  In any case, unfortunate
> to hear that Cygwin will not address this issue.  kill -f is clearly
> not desirable for doing a clean shutdown of a process.

Cygwin can't introduce Unix-like shutdown mechanisms (like the
handling a non-fatal signal) into non-Cygwin processes which have
no concept of that. It makes no sense.

The Windows way to try to try to obtain a clean shutdown is to send a
message to a window handle (WM_CLOSE or WM_QUIT or whatever); then
if that fails, TerminateProcess rudely.

kill shouldn't try to translate signals to window handle messages;
it makes no sense.