Bug report: Killing a native process may not actually kill it

Wed Aug 28 15:59:00 GMT 2019

On Aug 28 08:18, Quanah Gibson-Mount wrote:

> --On Thursday, July 25, 2019 11:32 AM -0700 Quanah Gibson-Mount
> <quanah@symas.com> wrote:
>
> > As found and reported to the MSYS team back in 2006 by Howard Chu, if a
> > native process is spawned, control-C, the kill command, etc, may not
> > actually kill the process.  Details are here:
>
> I haven't seen a reply to this, so I just wanted to confirm that the Cygwin
> project is aware and (hopefully) will be able to do something to fix this in
> the long term.

Not likely.  Cygwin handles Ctrl-C by generating SIGINT.  This only
works reliably with Cygwin processes.  There's

  $ /bin/kill -f <PID>

to call the Win32 function TerminateProcess(pid) on a non-Cygwin
process or an unresponsive Cygwin process.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer