find command seems to lock files

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Aug 19 14:13:00 GMT 2019

> On Aug 19 14:33, Morten Kjærulff wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have an application which constantly:
>> creates a file
>> do some processing
>> deletes the file
>>
>> One way to monitor if the application has crashed, is to check the age of
>> the file, so I made a script that:
>>
>> find //$server/d$/dir/subdir*/subsubdir -name 'thefile' -printf '%A+\n'
>>
>> subdir* will be subdir1 subdir2 ...
>> under subsubdir there will be dirA, dirB, ... and under those, thefile may
>> exist.
>>
>> Problem is that it seems this command locks thefile, as the application
>> sometimes can't delete it.
>>
>> Could this be true?
>
> Cygwin does not actually lock anything except in very rare
> circumstances.  Your problem is more likely triggered by a realtime
> virus scanner.

I was wondering, though, whether the parent directory would
be non-delete-able while find has the directory open for scanning.
If the application in question creates and deletes the parent
directory, as well as the leaf file, then things would be left
around unexpectedly.

So would use of find trigger a virus scanner, which in turn might
hold on to the file and prevent its deletion?

Regards - Eliot