getpriority() and top display for priority inconsistent

Thu Aug 15 10:20:00 GMT 2019

On Aug 15 09:41, Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] via cygwin wrote:
> > git format-patch output with commit message, please?
>
> Please educate me how to do that;  I am just using "git diff --no-color".

$ git add <files with changes you want to commit>
$ git commit -a

  - opens editor to create a commit message.  first line is summary,
    second line stays empty, descriptive text follows in line 3+.

$ git format-patch -1

  - creates a git patch file which can be attached to your email or
    just send *as* email with `git send-email --to=<addr> <filename>

Starting with git has a bit steep learning curve, but it's totally
worth it.  There's a great free online book available:

  https://git-scm.com/book/

> > The commit message should describe what the problem is and how the patch fixes it.  One or
> > two sentences are enough.
>
> The commit message is there:
>
> > > "getpriority() consistent with process priority
> > https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2019-08/msg00122.html"

Well, that's just a quote from a former email.  I would never have
recognized it as a commit message.  A commit message should consist
of the one-line summary (in our case starting with the text "Cygwin: "
to distinguish the change from generic newlib changes), followed
by an empty line, followed by a descriptive text, what problem this
patch fixes and how.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad you send patches, but it's tricky to create
a meaningful commit message if you're not the author of a patch.  It's
also pretty time-consuming since you have to care for correct authorship
and stuff.

Thanks,
Corinna

--