libglut is missing library for MinGW static linking

cyg Simple cygsimple@gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 18:20:00 GMT 2018

On 9/27/2018 9:40 AM, Matt D. wrote:
> libglut-devel provides libglut.a and libglut.dll.a but linking libglut.a
> with either "-lglut" or "-lglut.dll" both depend on either cygglut-3.dll
> or libglut-0.dll respectively when compiling for Cygwin or MinGW.

Unless you've directed the build process to use static libraries the
default choice is dynamic.  So -lglut and -lglut.dll are both one and
the same for -lglut will look for -lglut.dll and use it instead.

> I understand that this isn't a big deal for Cygwin binaries as it's not
> possible to statically link those executables anyways. But glut has the
> ability to link statically and this is of benefit on Windows with MinGW
> for convenience and ease of distribution.
>
> To perform static linking against glut, I have to download
> "libfreeglut_static.a" as provided by http://freeglut.sourceforge.net. I
> can still use libglut but the static library provides the missing
> dependencies to mitigate the need for the shared library.

You could use /usr/lib/libglut.a in the same fashion.  You can verify if
the library actually is a static library using `nm /usr/lib/libglut.a |
grep _imp_`; if any _imp_ return from the grep then this isn't a static
library.

> I can compile as such:
>
> i686-w64-mingw32-g++.exe -DFREEGLUT_STATIC main.cpp -lglut
> -lfreeglut_static -lgdi32 -lwinmm -lglu32 -lopengl32 -L. -oa.out
>
> The resulting executable is completely static and stand-alone and does
> not require a shared library. The key here is the define
> "FREEGLUT_STATIC" along with libfreeglut_static provided from the
> freeglut website.
>
> I don't know what Cygwin's policy is on providing static libraries for
> MinGW but this is a very good candidate as it already has all of the
> necessary declarations defined.
You would need to follow the protocol for getting a package accepted.
See the FAQ for that information.

--
cyg Simple