Creation of weird WINDOWS-related (sub)directories

Hans-Bernhard Bröker HBBroeker@t-online.de
Tue Sep 25 16:53:00 GMT 2018

Am 25.09.2018 um 17:16 schrieb Fergus:

> Unintentionally I have confounded the discussion. The directory named
> "consoleX" is my home-grown Cygwin root directory.
> (Others' preferred locationname might be "cygwin" or "mycygwin" or
> whatever.)

That does not explain anything, actually.  Cygwin's own root directory
is always '/'.  The one you speak of would be the windows-side
installation root directory (c:\cygwin or c:\cygwin64 by default), but
that would never show up like that from inside cygwin.  I.e. while you
do have

	c:\consoleX\bin

that will not show up as

	/consoleX/bin

but rather as

	/bin
or
	/cygdrive/c/consoleX/bin

> The directory %SystemDrive% occurs at the root of the Cygwin filesystem.
> I cannot work out what activity has triggered it .. ..

A look at the creation time of the directory might provide insightful.