Odd email symptoms (was Re: handling invalid user/groups)

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Wed Sep 5 23:57:00 GMT 2018

Thanks for your reply, it's not so much a problem for me,
just that when I have some email problem, I often need someone else
to point it out to me, as from my perspective, everything is working
fine!  :-)

On 9/5/2018 4:30 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:
> Greetings, L A Walsh!
>
>> p.s. -- some "FYI" stuff about your email:
>>         when i respond to one of your emails, I get two (2)
>>         "To:" entries -- both to cygwin@cygwin.com.
>>         I think it might be because the emails from you contain
>>         two 'Mail-Followup-To:' lines -- see below**.
>
> They are added by list software.
> Your email client is expected to sort it out and only include unique
> addresses.
----
	It does for most things, but not for 'Mail-Followup-To'.
Never seen it on anyone else's email...

> Even if not, the first MTA you submit your message to should do that.
---
	Really?... so sendmail should strip off duplicate addresses.
I wasn't aware of that.  I'll have to try it.

>> Also, I don't get your message included in a response
>> (because it is in a separate attachment.  Is that intentional?
>
> No, it's your weird mail agent failing to parse a signed email.
----
I see others who sign their email, but hers is the only one that
comes through in an attachment.

So wondering why her email in particular comes through that way.

My "weird" Thunderbird mail agent...hmmmm...it may be old, but
first time I've heard Tbird called weird.

-linda