vim yellow lines problem

Greywolf greywolf@starwolf.com
Tue Oct 9 17:41:00 GMT 2018

On 10/9/2018 4:33, James Darnley wrote:
> On 2018-10-09 10:49, Tapas Mishra wrote:
>> I had a C program which I copy pasted and there were line numbers in code.
>> So I replaced line numbers in vi by following command
>> :%s/\d*.  (<-- last of * is a dot)
>>
>> Now I am opening vim in cygwin then all typed lines are coming yellow.
>> https://i.stack.imgur.com/Dxd8h.jpg
>>
>> How do I fix this problem,
>
> :noh or :nohlsearch
>
> It looks like it is highlighting the matches of the last search you made
> which was "digit class, 0 or more, and any char".
>
> I would not expect Vim to highlight on opening a new file though, only
> when you tell it to search.

1. Vim remembers your last search and acts accordingly, even on a new file.

2. What you are searching for is 'zero or more matches of a digit
followed by any character', i.e. 'anything', so it gets highlighted.

My usual trick to accomplish this is to type /aseldkfja/, where
"aseldkfja" is any short burst of random typing, and then hit return.
Your screen should return to normal.