Cygwin Git with Windows paths

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 08:11:00 GMT 2018

Am 27.11.2018 um 02:09 schrieb Steven Penny:
> On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:54:14, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>> Personally, I don't see this as a bug; AIUI using Windows style paths
>> isn't something that is supported in general in Cygwin, even if it's
>> something that works in some circumstances.
>
> It is a bug. Even when you use Unix paths, Cygwin is doing path
> conversions:
>
>     $ ls /var
>     cache  lib  log  run  tmp
>
>     $ strace ls /var | grep -E '(conv_to|normalize)_(posix|win32)_path'
> | wc
>     32     320    3337

It is not a bug, and you are misunderstanding these calls.
Of course the internal of cygwin need to convert the posix
to win32 call, as the true kernel is Windows and the cygwin1.dll
is the library responsable for the interface.

> So either this code should be pulled out of the Cygwin DLL, or people
> should
> stop saying that its not supported.

Cool down please.
If you need a git that understand windows paths you should not use
the cygwin one.

Regards
Marco

---