Bug: No json support anymore in Ruby 2.3.6

Tue Nov 20 19:10:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-11-20 10:00, Dan Kegel wrote:
> Hey all,
> looking at
> http://mirrors.kernel.org/sourceware/cygwin/x86_64/setup.ini
> I see that there is a ruby-json package:
> @ ruby-json
> sdesc: "Ruby JSON module"
> but ruby does not currently depend on ruby-json:
> @ ruby
> sdesc: "Interpreted object-oriented scripting language"
> depends2: cygwin, libcrypt0, libdb5.3, libffi6, libgcc1, libgdbm4,
> libgmp10, libopenssl100, libreadline7, ruby-did_you_mean, ruby-psych,
> ruby-rdoc, rubygems, zlib0
> Maybe rubygems should, let's see:
> @ rubygems
> sdesc: "Ruby module management system"
> depends2: ca-certificates, ruby, ruby-builder, ruby-io-console,
> ruby-minitest, ruby-psych, ruby-rake, ruby-rdoc
> I am not a cygwin developer, but it does kind of sound like the rubygems
> package might want to depend on the packages required to provide the
> 'default' gems from stdgems.org.
> The right way to phrase that request would be as a patch :-) if a
> cygwin ruby user who needs it has the time and energy to get into
> cygwin development.

It's more a case of package.cygport tweaks by the ruby/library/-gems maintainer
to define packages and dependencies to get all required packages installed.

Dependencies are circular if gems depend on ruby, and ruby depends on the
standard library gems: how that is handled in packaging must be decided by the
maintainer, when they have time.

It might require a bit of restructuring so that e.g. exes and libs are packaged
as ruby-bin and ruby-lib, gems depend on bin and lib, and ruby only provides
global files but depends on all the standard bits to get them installed.

Like many developers I know enough about ruby to find and install packages I
need to run the tools I *use* sometimes, and hack a bit, but little more; same
for python, perl, .net, etc.