Numeric group IDs for system groups

Thu May 24 01:00:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-05-23 15:47, Stefan Baur wrote:
> Am 23.05.2018 um 23:33 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>> Cygwin id 197121 == RID 513 == 0x201 - in range of reserved RIDs < 1000.
>> See:
>> 	https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html#ntsec-mapping-how
>> 	https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa379649.aspx
>> 	https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Identifier
> So we can safely assume that 197121 will always be the "None" group?
> In that case, I would suggest updating the FAQ to use
> chgrp 197121 ~/.ssh/*
> instead of
> chgrp None ~/.ssh/*
> thus making the FAQ entry
> <https://cygwin.com/faq/faq.html#faq.using.ssh-pubkey-stops-working>
> os-language independent.

That internal id mapping could change due to Windows changes.

Currently the FAQ is only available in English - we would be grateful for
volunteers to translate to other languages. ;^>

If you are using or distributing a system or package using Cygwin components,
please provide an automated means, and a documented manual process, for applying
updates, to avoid emails from your users to this list when there is an issue due
to Windows updates.