ssh login to cygwin bash?

Thu Mar 29 21:19:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-03-29 13:35, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
> On Thu 2018-03-29 (13:00), Erik Soderquist wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2018 at 10:24 AM, Ulli Horlacher wrote:
>>> I have installed cygwin openssh and the sshd is running.
>>> When I log in, I get a "DOS shell":
>>> ~: uname -a
>>> CYGWIN_NT-6.1 WIN-LS0QDOSDIBL 2.10.0(0.325/5/3) 2018-02-02 15:21 i686 Cygwin
>>> ~: ssh localhost
>>> admin@localhost's password:
>>> C:\users\admin>
> I have just installed the openssh cygwin package (via setup). That's it.
>>> But I want bash as login shell. How can I configure cygwin sshd for that?

W10 Developer mode installs and enables minimal MS SSH server for Settings
"Device discovery" mDNS service "SSDP Discovery", also "SSH Server Broker", and
"SSH Server Proxy" services.
Enable/disable them to affect MS W10 SSH server.
In Developer mode you also have Optional Features you can add for OpenSSH
Server and OpenSSH Client.

To connect to Cygwin sshd, disable W10 SSH services as above, uninstall SSH
Optional Features, and in Settings disable Device discovery to stop mDNS.

Then log in under your user account admin and start Cygwin mintty/bash to set up
your Cygwin environment for that user, and in an elevated mintty/bash session,
run ssh-host-config script and answer the questions (normally take the defaults)
to set up sshd as a Windows service running under the cygrunsrv daemon wrapper.