Filemode change by windows applications

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Wed Mar 28 14:45:00 GMT 2018

On 3/28/2018 10:11 AM, Andrey Repin wrote:

>> and is there anything I can do to prevent windows
>> applications from setting the execute bit on my files?
>
> No, and you will be unable to use Windows associations, if you clear execute bit
> on documents.

Interesting that you think so, Andrey.  I just tested this on my Windows 10
Surface Book.  I used Windows Explorer to navigate to a folder where I had
cleared the x bits from a .docx file (setting mode to 660 with chmod in
Cygwin), and clicking on the file opened Word on the file just fine.  Maybe
this behavior is dependent on some other things as well?

Regards - Eliot