Issues with setting or not setting HOME environment variable

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Tue Mar 27 13:54:00 GMT 2018

Greetings, David Karr!

> I currently do not set the HOME environment variable.  I get the
> impression you're not supposed to do that.  When I run a mintty shell,
> it correctly puts me in "/home/<myuid>", which is what I want.

> I'm running into a problem with Eclipse egit, as I think it's looking
> for the "HOME" environment variable to determine where the .gitconfig
> file is. If it doesn't find "HOME" set, I have a feeling it's looking
> for "HOMEDRIVE", which is set to something I can't easily control.

> Is there some way I can set "HOME" to my Windows home location, but
> still have Cygwin do the right thing and go to "/home/<myuid>"?

It's not Cygwin, it's bash setting HOME when run as login shell.
If you wish, you can force that setting in ~/.profile or otherwise manipulate
the environment prior to starting mintty.

I, for one, prefer my $HOME match my real profile home. Don't see the reason
to spread my stuff thin across the filesystem.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...