SSH/SFTP Network Performance?

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Sat Mar 24 00:57:00 GMT 2018

Jordan Geoghegan wrote:

> Has anyone ever successfully transferred 150Mbps or more over the
> network using scp/sftp/rsync etc on Cygwin?
----
My experience was to use the cifs protocol as easiest (over local
network).  With a 10Gb (limited to 8Gb due to running on older
PCIe interface) card, I'm getting:

/h> bin/iotest
Using bs=16.0M, count=64, iosize=1.0G
R:1073741824 bytes (1.0GB) copied, 1.67486 s, 611MB/s
W:1073741824 bytes (1.0GB) copied, 4.01592 s, 255MB/s

That's on a Win7 client to a linux-samba server.

If you want to get better results over SSH, you need to
have a custom ssh that allows a null encryption for block
transfers.  See https://www.psc.edu/hpn-ssh.

Encryption really slows things down.

Also, on a local net, using Jumbo packets also helps
(I have a 9000 mtu on my local net).