setup-x86_64.exe v2.889 doesn't select additionally downloaded packages when installing from local directory

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Fri Mar 23 21:10:00 GMT 2018

On 3/23/2018 12:42 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Ken Brown writes:
>>> I think there's no actual dependency of libfontconfig-common on
>>> xmlcatalog, but we lack a triggering mechanism to say "run this
>>> script when this other package is installed"
>>
>> /etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh could check whether
>> /etc/postinstall/libxml2.sh exists.  If so, it could run it and then
>> add '.done' so it isn't run again.
>
> While this seems to maybe solve this particular problem, I really don't
> think that it is a good idea to have postinstall scripts run other
> postinstall scripts and then deactivate them behind the back of
> setup.exe.  Please let's not go there,

I agree.  That was a bad idea.

> if there is a general need to
> coordinate among postinstall scripts let's try to solve that within
> setup (the stratified postinstall concept does allow for something like
> that, it's just not yet fully specified or implemented).

I don't think a general need has been demonstrated.  This is the first
case I can recall seeing.

I do think that this case should be fixed, one way or another, in
/etc/postinstall/fontconfig_dtd.sh.  That script assumes, on the basis
of [ -x /usr/bin/xmlcatalog ], that the catalog /etc/xml/catalog has
already been created.

Ken