setup -g ???

David Allsopp David.Allsopp@cl.cam.ac.uk
Mon Mar 19 13:32:00 GMT 2018

Lee wrote:
> On 3/18/18, David Allsopp   wrote:

> >> So if I run setup and it says there are no pending updates it might
> >> be lying to me?
> >>
> >> I need to run setup -g and only then if there are no pending updates
> >> do I know that my cygwin installation is up to date?
> >
> > No - the original question here was about running setup with a command
> > line and the --packages argument. If you run setup interactively (with
> > no arguments), you should be told if any packages need upgrading, just
> > as before, without needing -g.
>
> When I saw the msg about
> > Perhaps you need to provide the -g (--upgrade-also) flag
> I tried running setup & got a short list of updates.  Applied the
> updates and ran setup again.. and had no pending updates listed as
> expected.  Then I ran setup -g and a few libXXX things were listed as
> pending :(
>
> Maybe I got lucky & the lib<whatevers> showed up at the mirror I was
> using just after running setup the second time??  dunno, but
> unless/until I can duplicate setup not showing any pending updates &
> setup -g saying there are pending updates, maybe we should just write it
> off as a one time occurrence.

It's possible that it was simply a mirror update - there are two ways to tell, if you see it again (or if you can remember what the actual packages were and the date you did it). One is to look in the history of this mailing list and see if there was an announce of a package update on or around the time you did the update. The other is to browse a mirror directly (e.g. https://mirrorservice.org/sites/sourceware.org/pub/cygwin/) and look at the timestamps of the files for the new package which appeared.

The third way, if it really worries you, is to use a private mirror (either via rsync or using Cygwin setup's "Download" option - though over the years I've found the latter remarkably unreliable) which allows completely repeatable installations.

HTH,

David