Problem running Cygwin on Windows 10

Andrey Repin anrdaemon@yandex.ru
Mon Mar 12 18:42:00 GMT 2018

Greetings, Stanley Friesen!

> I have just installed, or tried to install, Cygwin on my Windows 10
> machine.  I have run into a series of odd behaviors, and cannot get any
> of the Cygwin apps to run.

> First, the setup program appeared to hang near the end, but the log file
> indicates in finished normally, with no error, and the cygwin64 folder
> exists and has numerous files in it.

> Nothing relating to Cygwin appears on the Win10 Start menu.

> I tried running cygstart (and xterm) from the bin directory. I got a
> brief flash of a console window and then nothing.

> What do I need to do to get Cygwin actually usable on my machine?

Try to start low.
Clear your failed install, start setup again and let it run to the end without
selecting any additional packages. It should finish fast and nice and you
should be able to run terminal and execute some simple commands like ls or
cat.
Then restart setup again and try adding a few packages.
If anything fails, please check
and
and, if nothing helps, follow
to supply necessary information.

Be aware, that certain "antiviruses" impede Cygwin's ability to operate, you'd
have to make an exception for it or uninstall them completely.
Unfortunately, Windows defender is one known to cause such issues.

--
With best regards,
Andrey Repin

Sorry for my terrible english...B‹KCB”›Ø›[H™\ܝΈ‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKܛ؛[\Ëš[B‘TNˆ‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙ˜\KÃB‘ØÝ[Y[][ÛŽˆ‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÙØÜËš[B•[œÝXœØÜšX™H[™›Îˆ‹ËØÞYÝÚ[‹˜ÛÛKÛ[ÈÝ[œÝXœØÜšX™K\Ú[\CBƒB