Problem running Cygwin on Windows 10

Stanley Friesen sarima@friesen.net
Mon Mar 12 18:05:00 GMT 2018

I have just installed, or tried to install, Cygwin on my Windows 10
machine.  I have run into a series of odd behaviors, and cannot get any
of the Cygwin apps to run.

First, the setup program appeared to hang near the end, but the log file
indicates in finished normally, with no error, and the cygwin64 folder
exists and has numerous files in it.

Nothing relating to Cygwin appears on the Win10 Start menu.

I tried running cygstart (and xterm) from the bin directory. I got a
brief flash of a console window and then nothing.

What do I need to do to get Cygwin actually usable on my machine?