chere (=> windows explorer context menu) not working with German umlaut in Path

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Sun Mar 11 02:57:00 GMT 2018

Am 09.03.2018 um 10:40 schrieb Josef Frank:
> The "chere" package installs an entry in the windows explorer context menu to open a mintty window running bash at an arbitrary location.
>
> However the context menu entry "Bash prompt here" does not work, when the directory path contains a German umlaut in any position. E.g.: using it for c:/temp/ö results in a Bash prompt opened in _c:/temp_, while opening a windows cmd prompt via context menu also works with umlauts in the path.
This has been reported before:
I though I had responded then but apparently I didn’t; the issue is
described on the mintty Tips wiki page:
https://github.com/mintty/mintty/wiki/Tips#creating-a-folder-context-menu-entry-for-mintty

> How do I resolve this issue?
By fixing chere/xhere to handle the additional quoting magically added
by Windows in this case,
or by using the mintty --dir option instead of xhere.

Thomas