octave says WGL_ARB_multisample is missing

William Mitchell wfmacmd@gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 06:25:00 GMT 2018

When I run octave on a fresh installation of cygwin64 on a Windows 7
machine, I get the error:

libGL error: required WGL extension WGL_ARB_multisample is missing
Insufficient GL support
error: unable to plot due to insufficient OpenGL support

octave begins running fine.  The error occurs when it encounters a plot
statement.

I have had this problem with an old installation of cygwin for at least a
year.  I finally decided to wipe out cygwin and try a fresh installation.
This installation contains the "minimal" default packages plus Devel:
gcc-core, gcc-gfortran, gcc-g++, gdb, mingw64-x86_64-gcc-core,
mingw64-x86_64-gfortran, mingw64-x86_64-g++; Graphics: gnuplot,
ImageMagick; Math: bc, grace, octave; Shells: tcsh; X11: everything.

I notice that libGLEW is included in the packages that it installs, which
is where I would expect to find the WGL extensions.  This contains
/usr/bin/cygGLEW-2-1.dll, but I don't know how to find out what functions
are in a dll to see if it contains WGL_ARB_multisample.

Any suggestions on what is wrong with this installation are greatly
appreciated.