[bug: csih] Setting privileged rights to cyg_server fails on Windows 7.

Shaddy Baddah lithium-cygwin@shaddybaddah.name
Thu Jun 14 11:31:00 GMT 2018

Hi,

On 14/06/18 07:22, Takashi Yano wrote:
> Hi Corinna,
>
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2018 20:14:07 +0200
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> There's something fishy in your environment.  The variable LOGONSERVER
>> is always set in Windows NT, at least since NT4.  For standalone
>> machines LOGONSERVER is set to "\\<machinename>".  You should really
>> try to find out why LOGONSERVER isn't set for you.
>
> With your advice, I have found the cause. I usually logon as a user
> who does not have administrator rights for security reason. This user
> belong to only "Users" group. When I need administrator rights,
> I use "Run as administrator" menu to switch to another user who
> has administrator rights. In this case, LOGONSERVER is not set.
>
> If I logoff from the first user account and logon as the second user,
> LOGONSERVER is set.
>
> Moreover, the behaviour above seems to be true not only on Windows 7,
> but also on Windows 10.
>
> I have confirmed that iu-config successfully finishes without the
> patch I proposed, if I logon as an administrative user instead of
> using "Run as administrator".
>
> Thank you very much.

I proposed a similar patch last year, due to the same scenario you
mention (elevate to Administrator as a different user):

I got busy and never followed up on Corinna's concerns.

--
Regards,
Shaddy