xterm / Windows 10 question

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Jun 5 04:04:00 GMT 2018

On 6/5/2018 2:51 AM, Matt Nicholas wrote:
> Sorry, I left out the word "not" in my last message.
> I meant to say:
>
> I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
> setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
> "English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
> I did that and it did *not *solve the problem (nor make any discernible
> difference).
>
> Apologies for the omission.
> --- Matt

Bottom post on this mailing list

> On Mon, Jun 4, 2018 at 5:47 PM, Matt Nicholas <mattdn@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a question that I hope someone may be able to help me with.
>>
>> I recently obtained a Dell Precision laptop running Windows 10.
>> I installed 64-bit Cygwin, including various packages that are not part of
>> the minimal install.
>>
>> I start Cygwin/X as follows:
>>
>> (1) open a Cygwin64 Terminal window
>> (2) cd /usr/bin
>> (3) ./xinit -- -multiwindow &
>>
>> That works as expected, and creates an initial xterm window.  I can then
>> start multiple independent xterm windows.
>>
>> The problem I'm having is that when I type single quote or double quote
>> characters in the xterm window, no character appears with the first
>> keystroke.
>> Typing the character twice, causes the character to appear, but things
>> don't work as expected.
>> For example, a command like:
>>       find . -name "*.exe"
>> fails to find any files even though there are ".exe" files to be found.
>>
>> I've seen various suggestions online stating that I need to change the
>> setting under 'Control Panel, Languages' so that the selected language is
>> "English (United States)", rather than "English (International)".
>> I did that and it did solve the problem (nor make any discernible
>> difference).
>>
>> A few other clues:
>>       (1) The problem does not occur in a Cygwin64 Terminal window.
>>       (2) I set things up the same way on a Windows 7 PC that I also use,
>> and do not experience this problem in xterm windows.

It seems that Xterm, and I assume the all X server,
is using a different Keyboard layout than Mintty.
One with dead-keys.

The best explanation I found on keyboard with dead-keys is
https://zauner.nllk.net/post/0014-windows-no-dead-keys/

For changing setting for the X system, some guidance is available on:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Keyboard_configuration_in_Xorg

>> Thanks
>> --- Matt

Regards