My delayed complaint about spam on this list

Frank Farance frank@farance.com
Mon Jun 4 19:31:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-06-04 12:22, Kunal Ghosh wrote:
> This email list is only for people who would love to be a part of VSDOpen 2018 (in collaboration with ACM SIGDA - The first online opensource EDA conference happening in semi-conductor industry. You will receive all details about the conference, like paper submissions, abstract details, deadlines, etc. by being in this email list. So join and be a part of next-gen online VLSI conferences
> Please click the button below to confirm that you'd like to receive email from VSDOpen2018.
>
> http://www.aweber.com/z/c/?vo_key=fc812181-a634-4d7c-a252-1aef35816a71&split_id=coi6&locale=en-US&button_id=2
>
> Thank you!
> VLSI System Design
>
> ---
>
> If you received this in error or do not want to subscribe, simply ignore this email and do not click the button.
>
> Outer Ring Road
> Bangalore
> Bangalore Karnataka 560037
> INDIA
>
> Request generated by:
> IP:
> Date: June 04, 2018 12:22 -0400
Hi, I enjoy reading the cygwin E-mails, one of the few E-mail lists I regularly follow.  And I've administered multiple E-mail lists over two-plus decades.

I've seen a bunch of spam, and it's continued for a while (beyond my expectation that it would have already ended).  This kinda spam is typically solved by having the E-mail list restricted: only members can submit to the list.  Maybe this has been done already ... but if not, please enable this mailing list feature.  Now if those members start submitting spam, then you can give them warnings and (ultimately) they can lose their membership.  And if people start forging E-mail addresses, you can turn on various SPF-like features to make sure the E-mail is coming from a that source (or an equivalent feature might work well, too).

If you would like to reply to me, please send your response to me directly, DO NOT SEND TO THE LIST.  I will summarize back to the list.  (Think: Old-School 1980s USENET unix-wizards kinda framework.)

Thank you for your administration of this list.

-FF

Frank Farance, Farance Inc.    T: +1 212 486 4700   M: +1 917 751 2900
mailto:frank@farance.com       http://farance.com
Standards/Products/Services for Information/Communication Technologies