needed : building instruction of newlib under window 10 cygwin32 or cygwin64ls

Mark Geisert mark@maxrnd.com
Mon Jul 30 01:52:00 GMT 2018

Shen, Chang (MSFC-EV43) wrote:
> Hi Mark:
>
> Great!
>
> It works now.  Only after I did below to filter out anything from windows path.  I guess something was used other than cygwin's tools.
>
> export path=/usr/local/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:

That would certainly explain some of your difficulties :).  I'm not sure how you
set up your Cygwin environment.  But usually, the setup*.exe program one gets
from the project's home page https://cygwin.com takes care of everything.

> In your replay, you did not run make in cygwin.  Instead going to newlib to run make.  Is this because we already has cygwin?
> I went up one level to in src folder and run make.  It builds.  But this step is not needed, right?

It depends on what you want to build :-).  You originally said you wanted to
build newlib, so I provided steps for that.  If you build in the topmost build
directory, then all of the Cygwin DLL and Cygwin support programs are built.
(Not Cygwin-hosted packages.  Those are built separately.)  All Cygwin programs
and the Cygwin DLL itself use newlib as their C runtime library, because they
don't use glibc like Linux programs do.

So, for example, if you were developing or debugging something in the Cygwin
DLL, you'd build at the top level.  But if you only need newlib, you can build
just that.  But that only works if you configure at top build level then
configure at newlib level.

HTH,

..mark