BASH 4.4 mapfile/readarray/read builtins mis-behaving with pipe [edit] documentation bug

Eric Blake eblake@redhat.com
Sat Jul 21 01:19:00 GMT 2018

On 07/17/2018 08:52 PM, BloomingAzaleas wrote:
> Reply to Steven Penny <svnpenn at gmail dot com>:
>
>     no mis-behaving: this is intended behavior - you yourself have given
>     workarounds: either redirect output to a file that can be later
> read, or pipe to
>     command grouping ala {} or () and read stdin from inside the subshell
>

> I suggest the following adjustment to the man pages inserting a
> parenthetical cue regards behavior in pipes:

Is the behavior you are complaining about unique to Cygwin, or can it be
reproduced on a GNU/Linux box?  If the latter, then an upstream bug
report is better than asking for a cygwin-specific patch.  [Hint - as
the maintainer of the cygwin bash port, I don't recall adding any
cygwin-specific tweaks for mapfile - and a quick test on Fedora shows
the same behaviors]

--
Eric Blake, Principal Software Engineer
Red Hat, Inc.           +1-919-301-3266