How to Setup Multiple System Distro Manpages

Sun Jul 15 06:39:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-07-14 16:40, Jack wrote:
> On 07/14/2018 04:50 PM, Brian Inglis wrote:

>> I've installed a few WSL distros for comparison and downloaded a bunch of other
>> manpage sets and unpacked them:
>> $ l /proc/cygdrive/c/usr/local/share/man/
>> cat1/          debian@                      man1p/  mann/           SunOS-5.10/
>> cat3/          Debian-8.1.0/                man2/   netbsd@         suse@
>> cat5/          freebsd@                     man3/   NetBSD-7.1/     SuSE-11.3/
>> cat7/          FreeBSD-12-current/          man3p/  openbsd@        ubuntu@
>> cat8/          FreeBSD-ports-11.1-RELEASE/  man4/   OpenBSD-6.2/    x@
>> centos@        hpux@                        man5/   ports@          X11R7.4/
>> CentOS-7.1/    HP-UX-11.22/                 man6/   redhat@
>> darwin@        man0p/                       man7/   RedHat-9-i386/
>> Darwin-7.0.1/  man1/                        man8/   solaris@
>>
>> but despite reading docs, adding links and changing configs, I'm unable to get
>> man/-db to access these with or without the -m system switch.
>>
>> I know I must be missing some essential point, but searching has not come up
>> with anything to help me fix this.
>>
>> Has anyone here set this up and can suggest an approach that will work?
>>
> Purely a guess on my part, but should those directories all start with "man" (or
> "cat") ?

>From docs I have checked, man is the default name for the current system e.g.
man -m man, and freebsd, debian, etc. should be at the same level, with man?,
cat?, xx_XX, directories below that, so I have linked and moved them up and down
the hierarchy, modified /etc/man_db.conf to match, rerun mandb, and tried using
"man -m freebsd ...", etc. without any success as far as I can tell.

I have other system man and cat directories in my MANPATH at various levels
above and under Cygwin, and can access those manpages, just not the alternative
systems.
I am sure I must have missed something unobvious in the docs, and noticed
nothing about this in the books, which I have checked.