cleanup disk space

Heavenly Avenger avenger@avenger.ws
Tue Jul 10 04:45:00 GMT 2018

Hello! I maybe am getting the message underway and I don't see the
history on the message itself, and you seem to be replying somebody that
posted a question before I joined the list.

But I believe that if space is a concern there are two main points I can
think of:

- Selectively installing only packages you need. I do this myself, get
rid of any x, gtk, kde, gnome related stuff
- Using NTFS compression. You can do this by a per-folder level and
compress just given folders (or files) "in-place" without making it
unable to run/open the files. NTFS does this compression transparent to
the user -- at the cost of additional CPU cycles to decompress the file
when a read is attempted.

To enable NTFS compression, you can do it for the whole disk. Open
explorer, right-click disk, properties, and check the "compress this
drive to save disk space" in the dialog that is displayed.

You can do this for specific files/folders by right-clicking them,
clicking 'properties', then 'advanced' and then checking the
compression-specific checkbox that's displayed.

This should go smoothly with cygwin... but nowadays I believe the space
cygwin spends is negligible comparing to the size of the available disks...

Zipping the files with bzip2/gzip/whatever may work for some editors
that know to expand the files before opening, but that won't be the case
in the majority of the applications. The transparent and native
compression should be the best shot to shrink a big and cluttered cygwin
installation in no time. Again, for the (potential) cost of performance.

Hope this helps!