(1) Trouble installing. (2) Huge desktop folder. (3) ConEmu. (4) Goodness, your instructions

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jan 22 23:14:00 GMT 2018

On 20/01/2018 15:58, Nicholas Joll wrote:
> Dear List (presuming I have worked out how to send to the list)

Thanks for your feedback.

> 1) I had trouble installing Cygwin (on Windows 8.1 x64) because I
> thought that the installation had finished when it had not. The reason
> for my believing that, in turn, was this: an installation window was
> hidden behind another window. I wonder whether other users are likely to
> encounter or have encountered that problem.

It's not clear if by "another window" you mean "a window of another
program" or "another window of setup"?

In the former case, I'm not sure what, if anything, we can do to improve
matters.

In the latter, these are things we can fix, if we have the details of
which window is being hidden.

> 2) A 100MB file has appeared on my desktop. Is this part of the
> installation? You will understand that I do not want to leave the folder
> there. What should I do, please?
>
> 3) Integration with the program 'ConEmu' is meant to happen
> automatically, I believe. However, it has not happened automatically for
> me and I do not know how to set up the integration.
>
> 4) Discovering how to send to the list was hard, involving as it did
> reading through large web pages and splicing the relevant information
> therein with information from the first e-mail I received from the list.
> ('How do I subscribe', I wondered? And: 'Am I subscribed?) Mutatis

I'm guessing that we're primarily talking about
https://cygwin.com/lists.html, which I'm sure could be better.

to the list.", so I'm not sure what you found it unclear about.