W10 Mandatory ASLR default

Andreas Schiffler aschiffler@ferzkopp.net
Wed Feb 14 07:36:00 GMT 2018

Here is the registry state:

Mandatory ASLR off

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel]
"MitigationOptions"=hex:00,02,22,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

Mandatory ASLR on

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\kernel]
"MitigationOptions"=hex:00,01,21,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00,00

On 2/13/2018 11:17 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
> Am 14.02.2018 um 04:25 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>> On 2018-02-12 21:58, Andreas Schiffler wrote:
>>> Found the workaround (read: not really a solution as it leaves the
>>> system
>>> vulnerable, but it unblocks cygwin)
>>> - Go to Windows Defender Security Center - Exploit protection settings
>>> - Disable System Settings - Force randomization for images
>>> (Mandatory ASLR) and
>>> Randomize memory allocations (Bottom-up ASLR) from "On by default"
>>> to "Off by
>>> default"
>>>
>>> Now setup.exe works and can rebase everything; after that Cygwin
>>> Terminal starts
>>> as a working shell without problems.
>>>
>>> @cygwin dev's - It seems one of the windows updates (system is on
>>> 1709 build
>>> 16299.214) might have changed my ASLR settings to "system wide
>>> mandatory" (i.e.
>>> see