Re: Gnu make option "‘--max-load[=load]’" - is it supposed to work under cygwin?

Marco Atzeri marco.atzeri@gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:29:00 GMT 2018

Am 11.12.2018 um 11:23 schrieb Niels Kristian "Ænkå" Jensen:
> Hello all,
>
> I am having a strange problem with Gnu make and one problem, which is a
> derived from it:
>
> 1) Sometimes, at seemingly random places in the make execution, "make
> -j`nproc` (parameters...)" simply stops. A process keeps running on one
> CPU, full load, forever. We have been trying lots of different versions
> of make and the cygwin1.dll, trying to locate anything that could be
> reproducing the behaviour, to no avail. We have seen this on Win7, Win
> Server 2012 and Win10.

In general this problem are due to concurrency of the various
parallel runs.
Most of the builds do not show the problem but from time to
time we have seen some case and then we reduce the -jX value.

Less than 10% of my packages are built with -j1

> 2) As a work-around, I tried to replace option "-j" with "-l 5.5" (don't
> start new executors if load avg. is above 5.5.)
>
> This does not seem to work - execution time is almost equal to "-j1"
> that is just one executor.
>
> Is the "load" option supposed to work?

I have some doubts that make is correctly interpreting the load avg
on cygwin. Looking at the old build logs I would say no

> I've only run it on systems without the "procps" package installed (I
> avoid packages, that are not needed).
>
> Best regards,
> Niels Kristian Jensen

Regards