[ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.9.5

Achim Gratz Stromeko@nexgo.de
Thu Dec 6 19:39:00 GMT 2018

Thomas Wolff writes:
> Am 05.12.2018 um 21:21 schrieb Achim Gratz:
>> Thomas Wolff writes:
>>> Other
>>>    * Ensuring /bin in PATH for user commands.
>> Blindly prepending /bin to the existing PATH is asking for trouble with certain setups.
> Just to clarify, this is only applicable to user-defined commands
> added to the extended context menu (option UserCommands), in order to
> ensure basic tools are available. If you see problems there, please be
> more specific.

I'm not using this option, so my remark was just to remind you that
second-guessing the user w.r.t. PATH will eventually find at least one
user in an unfortunate (and in this case hard to debug) situation.  So
the usual advice applies:

a) Just warn about the missing PATH component without changing the PATH.
b) Give the user an option to let the command run with a separate PATH.

Indeed there might be other things that are missing in the environment,
so instead of just fixing up PATH you might consider using a wrapper
that the user can change.

Regards,
Achim.