[ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.11.0-0.1

Houder houder@xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 13 21:29:00 GMT 2018

On 2018-08-10 14:43, Houder wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Aug 2018 13:42:54, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> [snip]
>
>> > Note: the following line must be changed in STC-FENV.c (the STC that was
>> > attached to the bug report -- the last one above).
>> >
>> > from:
>> > const int xxx =3D 0x3d; // FE_ALL_EXCEPT on Linux, i.e. the denormal-...
>> >                         // exception is excluded on Linux
>> >
>> > to:
>> > const int xxx =3D 0x3f; // Cygwin allows the denormal-operand exception;
>> >                         // Linux (Andreas Jaeger) does not.
>> >                         // This exception is not defined by the IEEE 754
>> >                         // standard (Floating-Point Arithmetic)
>>
>> Shall we change that?  A patch would be nice. ;)
>
> That is possible ...
>
> As on Linux, the denormal-operand exception will always be masked after
> this
> change ... (both in the default env. and in the "nomask" env.)
>
> Meaning that, after this change, this exception can * no longer * be
> enabled
> through the API of fenv.h
>
> Objections? Anyone?
>
> The modication would require changing:
>
> winsup/cygwin/fenv.cc (_feinitialise() )
> winsup/cygwin/include/fenv.h (FE_ALL_EXCEPT)

GRRR! The file encoding of fenv.h is "cp1252" because of 2 characters in
this
line:

      Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer’s Manuals:

... part of a comment at the beginning of the file.

(the registered trademark sign (u00ae) is encoded as 0xae (cp1252),
while it
  would be: 0xc2 0xae, in utf-8,
  the right single quotation mark (u2019) is encoded as 0x92 (cp1252),
but in
  utf-8 it would be: 0xc2 0x80 0x98)

I intend to convert the file encoding of fenv.h to utf-8. Is that a
"No-No"
or is it allowed? (I assume GIT will notice).

Regards,
Henri