ssh cause mintty terminal not to close (tested on 4 cygwin installations)

Niels Kristian Jensen nkj@internetgruppen.dk
Thu Aug 2 13:44:00 GMT 2018

I've noticed a strange behavior of the standard Cygwin Terminal (mintty):

If I open a Cygwin Terminal (using the shortcut on the desktop installed by
Cygwin setup) and just press Ctrl-D, it writes "logout" and closes the
window as expected.

If I do the same, but give one command "ssh<enter>" first, the word
"logout" appear, the window goes black, but the window does not close (!) The
window can still be closed using the "X" in upper right corner.

If I replace the command with "ssh -V<enter>", the window closes as
expected when I press Ctrl-D.

This may seem like a minor thing, but we have much trouble with Jenkins
builds (started via Cygwin OpenSSH) which randomly hang forever - I wonder
 if this could be a clue in this investigation.

Tested versions:

Windows Server 2008 R2
OpenSSH_7.3p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2j  26 Sep 2016
mintty 2.7.0 (i686-pc-cygwin)

and

Windows 10
OpenSSH_7.6p1, OpenSSL 1.0.2m  2 Nov 2017
mintty 2.8.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)

Only commented lines appear in /etc/ssh_config , ~/.bashrc and
~/.bash_profile on both systems.

I would be glad if (some of) you could repeat this test on your system -
perhaps this behavior is due to some local problem on my systems.

Best regards,

Niels Kristian Jensen
Denmark