format=flowed issues [Was: gawk 4.1.4: CR separate char for CRLF files]

Tue Sep 19 02:32:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-08-11 07:25, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Aug 11 09:15, David Macek wrote:
>>>
>>> Nope. Wrong. David has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>>
>>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>>
>>> So it is a user issue. The user must hard wrap because Cygwin site does not.
>>
>> """
>> Nope. Wrong. Cygwin site has been doing this for over 2 years:
>>
>> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2015-01/msg00232.html
>>
>> So it is a site issue. The site must wrap because David does not.
>> """
>>
>> In other words, why do you think your argument is correct?  Format=flowed is
>> not a new thing<https://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2646.txt> and it would be nice
>> if the archives site could display it correctly.  I can cooperate on this
>> with the maintainer(s) if they're interested.  Essentially, one line of CSS
>> should fix it, judging by my quick test.
>
> The archives on sourceware.org are centrally maintained by the
> sourceware overseers.  You could send your change suggestion to
> overseers AT sourceware DOT org, or you could try to discuss this
> on the Freenode #overseers channel.  Just be a bit patient ;)

[Now that the disk problems have been recovered from, hopefully, resending this]

Please see referenced links to messages using standard "Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed", and preceding messages in these threads.

Could you please consider adding "white-space: pre-wrap;" or equivalent in to
the style string in the email body HTML <pre style="..."> tags or mailing list
CSS, perhaps only when email has Content-type: ...format=flowed..., to ensure
that white space is preserved but long lines are wrapped in the window, to allow
reading without long horizontal scrolls, which make posts hard to read.

This may also assist mobile users read without zooming and scrolling or trying
to read tiny fonts.