sort utility goes berzerk (x86_64)

Houder houder@xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 28 14:54:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-11-28 14:37, Doug Henderson wrote:

> Q0. What is the value of PATH reported by "printenv PATH"? Just to
> verify it matches the cygcheck reported path, and to confirm that
> cygwin directories proceed windows folders.

64-@@ printenv PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/drv/c/WINDOWS/system32:/drv/c/WINDOWS:/drv/c/WINDOWS/System32/Wbem:/home/Henri/bin

> Q1. What is output of "which -a sort"? Is there only one sort in the
> path?

64-@@ which -a sort
/usr/bin/sort
/drv/c/WINDOWS/system32/sort

> Q2. What is output of "sort --version"? Confirm if it is "sort (GNU
> coreutils) 8.26".

64-@@ sort --version
sort (GNU coreutils) 8.26
Packaged by Cygwin (8.26-2)

64-@@ /usr/bin/sort --version
sort (GNU coreutils) 8.26
Packaged by Cygwin (8.26-2)

64-@@ sort -c tt | head
64-@@ echo $?
0

> Q4. After you kill a hung sort, are there files left over in /tmp? I
> am wondering if the problem files are too big to do an in-core sort,
> and something goes wrong when it switches to a temp file sort, but not
> for smaller or larger input files where it correctly predicts which
> type of sort it needs to do. Possibly using the "--buffer-size=N"
> option will change the behavior, making smaller input files fail and
> failing ones work.

Never noticed any file in /tmp, /usr/tmp and /var/tmp, both while sort
was still running, and after I killed it.

I will experiment with --buffer-size=N

Henri