sort utility goes berzerk (x86_64)

Houder houder@xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 28 10:59:00 GMT 2017

On 2017-11-28 10:03, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Nov 28 08:21, Houder wrote:
>> On 2017-11-25 14:23, Houder wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Anyone seeing this as well? sort goes berzerk on my system when piped
>> > into
>> > head (or less) when it is fed with a 'specially prepared' input file.
>> >
>> >  - only happens on x86_64
>> >  - does not happen for 'LC_COLLATE=C sort tt | head'
>> >
>> > 'specially prepared' input file? (see bottom of post).
>>
>> Anyone ** NOT ** seeing this?
>
> Yes.  I just tried it under tcsh and bash with 6000, 8000, and 8150
> lines,
> and it works for me.  LANG=en_US.UTF-8 implies LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
> but I also set LC_COLLATE explicitely and retried.  sort tt | head
> always prints
>
>   abcde    1xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    2xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    3xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    4xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    5xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    6xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    7xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    8xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde    9xxxxx0123456789
>   abcde   10xxxxx0123456789
>
> and then returns to the prompt.

Corinna, thank you for trying !!!!!

But that is curious ... I only send my initial post after having
verified
my system (Cygwin).

As I got no response to my initial post, I decided it had to be "me".
For
that reason I once more scrutinized? my system (Cygwin).

Among others:

  - downloaded the base packages (from my favorite mirror) into a
separate
    repo (directory on my system)
  - installed Cygwin (base packages) into a new directory.

All using setup! The outcome was the same. It came as a surprise to me.

I will attach cygcheck-minsrv.out (for _anyone_ who is willing to take a
look at it). I did not spot anything "funny" in there.

Henri