setup.ini has multiple "prev" entries ... Why?

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Nov 6 14:20:00 GMT 2017

On 05/11/2017 17:32, Houder wrote:
> On 2017-11-05 13:48, Houder wrote:
>> After I had downloaded and exercised setup version 2.882, I noticed
>> that setup.ini has multiple (2?) "prev" entries per package ...
>>
>> Why? Did I miss one of your announcements mentioning this change?
>
>      https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-10/msg00047.html
>
>> Because of the way setup works, the last [test] section is the version
>> which
>> is selected when 'test' is selected, so a specific ordering of the
>> sections
>>  would be required. ...

[...]
> So ... if I read the above correctly, the "prev" entries can be ordered
> arbitrarily with respect to each other (within a package section) ?????
> (and basically, the same question with respect to the "test" entries)

Since [1], there's no way to install a prev version using setup, without
explicitly selecting which version you want, so the ordering of those
[prev] versions in setup.ini is relatively unimportant.

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2011-07/msg00064.html

However, you can tell setup to install "the test version", so we ensure
that the highest version [test] section is last, to ensure it's the one
that setup installs.

> Meaning, one has to "interpret" the version id of each "prev" entry,
> in order to be able to establish the _latest_ "prev" entry (i.e. the
> version of the package before the current one) ?

Yes.

(Although due to historical mistakes with version numbers, that ordering
might be wrong)