Can I change the windows icon from command line?

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Fri Nov 3 19:23:00 GMT 2017

Am 03.11.2017 um 16:34 schrieb cyg Simple:
> On 11/2/2017 3:55 PM, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>>> RXVT managed to change the title based on the xterm escape sequences.
>>> I've used that idea for various server connections in the past with RXVT.
>> Rxvt does not support more than mintty.
> I wasn't trying to say that it did.
>
>> We are not talking about window frame labels (window title)
>> but the labels that appear next to the icons in the Windows taskbar, or
>> (if configured away) popup up floating there.
>>
> I have 3 chrome icons with different profile icons overlayed onto the
> primary icon in the bottom right pinned to my taskbar so that is doable.
>   The frame labels help when you hover over the taskbar icon with
> multiple windows so you can pick which to bring to the front.  It sounds
> though as if what is wanted is more the distinguished profile similar to
> chrome.  I can achieve that effect with differing installs (different
> paths) of Cygwin so it must be doable with one install and multiple
> profiles.
Trying to guess what you refer to there still seems to be
misunderstanding. The issue was to have a dedicated text label
associated to the taskbar icon which is different from the window frame
title of the same window. There are two distinct xterm sequence to set
these within an X server but this is not supported by Windows.