inetutils-server, OpenSP and units install glitches and fixes

Ian Lambert via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Mon Mar 27 15:53:00 GMT 2017

On March 27, 2017 8:48:07 AM EDT, "Nellis, Kenneth (Conduent)"  wrote:
>From: Ian Lambert via cygwin
>> On a related note, using not ancient Red Hat 5.6 where the mirror is
>> stored, tar won't expand the Cygwin packages?
>>
>> $ tar -xvf units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>>
>> tar: This does not look like a tar archive
>> tar: Skipping to next header
>> tar: Archive contains obsolescent base-64 headers
>> tar: Read 9640 bytes from units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>> tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
>>
>> $ tar --version
>> tar (GNU tar) 1.15.1
>>

>> but tar Packaged by Cygwin (1.29-1) will.
>>

>I believe you need to tell tar if the file is in a compressed
>format. Not sure if your version takes the same options as
>Cygwin's tar 1.29, but there you would want to say (I suspect):
>
>$ tar -xvjf units-2.13-1.tar.xz
>
>--Ken Nellis

I appreciate the suggestion, but j is for bz2 on redhat 5.6. There is an "xz" package we could install, but we're moving to redhat 6.4, with tar 1.23, and tar -xvf works there easy as 123. Ha.

Thanks