3-line Emacs window after Gnome updates

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Thu Mar 23 21:11:00 GMT 2017

n 3/23/2017 1:18 PM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:
>> Yaakov released a ton of Gnome updates Wednesday 3/22.  Now when I
>> start Emacs in an xterm, I get the following error, and the resulting
>> Emacs window is only 3-lines tall:

I can confirm this.

>> ** (emacs:8440): WARNING **: Error retrieving accessibility bus
>> address: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
>> org.a11y.Bus exited with status 1

I see this when I log in as an administrator, but not when I'm an
ordinary user.  We've discussed this before, and I think it's harmless.

>>       0 [main] emacs 8440 dlclose:
>> C:\Cygwin64\lib\gio\modules\cyggsettingsgconfbackend.dll count 1
>>     260 [main] emacs 8440 dll_list::detach: HERE
>> C:\Cygwin64\lib\gio\modules\cyggsettingsgconfbackend.dll

I don't see this...

> Another message:
>
> (emacs:8260): Gtk-WARNING **: Allocating size to Emacs 0x6004de270
> without calling gtk_widget_get_preferred_width/height().

... or this.

> How does the
> code know the size to allocate?

Do you have an emacs.geometry setting in your ~/.Xresources?  Or any
kind of size setting in your emacs initialization files?  If not, I
guess emacs or X11 has a default.

I'll look into the 3-line window and see if I can figure out what's
going on.

Ken