Very Slow Setup Parsing / was Re: Segmentation Faults

Ian Lambert via cygwin cygwin@cygwin.com
Wed Mar 22 18:01:00 GMT 2017

On Wed, 3/22/17, Ken Brown <kbrown@cornell.edu> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Very Slow Setup Parsing / was Re: Segmentation Faults
 To: cygwin@cygwin.com
 Date: Wednesday, March 22, 2017, 12:10 PM

 On 3/22/2017 11:59 AM,
 Ian Lambert via cygwin wrote:
 > I've
 now downloaded a complete cygwin mirror

 onto a networked storage, done a new install, and
 > cygwin works OK again. However, doing
 updates or
 > package installs is (1)
 extremely slow, and (2) giving
 > a below
 reported permissions problem.

 > (1) Slowness. After the setup initial
 steps and pointing
 > to the local install
 location, I get to the following display
 > for 10s of minutes to hours (see log
 excerpt farther down).
 > It eventually
 goes to the next step. There is a very

 low, steady network traffic during the delay. This
 > storage and network is usually fast for
 other things,
 > including during actual
 package installs.

 You might
 want to checkout the '-m --mirror-mode' option to
 setup.
 = = = = =
 Ken,

Works great! Hoping my mirror stays "clean."

I missed the discussions of this "new" option,
and documentation is the last thing to be updated.
:)
https://cygwin.com/faq.html#faq.setup.cli

Thanks!