Strange errors running gcc tests on Cygwin

Daniel Santos daniel.santos@pobox.com
Sun Mar 5 04:20:00 GMT 2017

On 03/04/2017 09:46 PM, JonY wrote:

> Cygwin does NOT use LD_LIBRARY_PATH, Cygwin uses PATH like all Windows
> programs. It is one aspect that does not conform to *nix expectations.

Wonderful, this simplifies it greatly!  I was wondering why the dlls
were under /usr/bin. :)  Anyway, I'm waiting for the gcc bugzilla
database to come back up and I'll file the bug.

> Running tests under Cygwin is also complicated by the condition all DLLs
> do not get rebased at runtime, or a fork() can fail.
>
>> This further implies that, if it is looking in the local environment for
>> a library and not the build tree, then *all* test results could be
>> invalid due to it using compilers and libraries locally installed rather
>> than from the build tree, which would be very bad -- a regression that
>> hides other regressions!
>>
>> As much as I just want to get my own tests done, I suppose I better
>> debug this. *sigh*
>>
>> Daniel
>>

> I suppose you can try to run s/LD_LIBRARY_PATH/PATH/g to see how it goes.

Well since I've gone this far I might as well come up with a patch for
the problem as well.  Luckily, I somehow made a mistake about the
problem *not* happening on my first run of tests because I double
checked and it did!  I guess the compare_tests script isn't perfect.
Also, I should make certain that this doesn't affect other tests (for
instance, we need to be certain that we're loading the correct libgcc).

Thanks for the help!
Daniel