Cygwin strptime() is missing "%s" which strftime() has

Lavrentiev, Anton (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [C] lavr@ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Jul 24 13:54:00 GMT 2017

> > > But that's just scanning a decimal integer to time_t.
> >
> > It's not a question of whether I can or can't convert a string into an
> > integer, rather it's a question about portability of code that uses %s

> I see your point but... "portability" is kind of the wrong expression
> here.  If you have portability in mind, you should *not* use %s at all.

The point is, if I can use "%s" with strftime() on Cygwin, then I should be able to use "%s" with strptime(),
but currently there's a disconcert with that.  Indeed, "%s" is a GNU extension yet it has been on Linux for years,
so why not here but only 50%?

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI