how to access and display apps that I've launched

Ken Brown kbrown@cornell.edu
Sun Jul 23 22:46:00 GMT 2017

On 7/23/2017 8:32 AM, mike wrote:
> Hi
>
> I updated my Cywin installation on the 21st or 22nd of July 2017.  I run
> 32-bit Cygwin/X on 64-bit Win 7 Pro.  If I launch the Cygwin Xwin Server
> I get the icon at the very top middle of the screen and can then go into
> the icons menu and right click on the Cygwin icon and get a list of
> categories of applications to run and apparently launch because if I try
> to launch some and wait long enough and right click on the
> aforementioned icon and select quit it says there are N apps running and
> do I want to close them.  The problem is that anything I launch through
> the icons menu doesn't display anywhere and in particular doesn't appear
> in the task bar.  I have read the FAQ and UG but can't find what I'm
> looking for.  It definitely seems to me that the behaviour has changed
> since before I updated.

Yes, there was a change about two years ago.  I suspect you have a
.startxwinrc that uses fbpanel instead of xwin-xdg-menu.  See

   https://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin-announce/2015-07/msg00013.html

Ken