Request to the git maintainer

Eliot Moss moss@cs.umass.edu
Mon Jul 10 21:02:00 GMT 2017

On 7/10/2017 4:24 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Eliot Moss writes:
>> Dear maintainer of git ....
>>
>> I use CrashPlan as my backup engine.  It has difficulty backing up
>> files with no "other" access.  Many git locale (.mo) and doc-related
>> files have permissions 600 (directories 700).  Is there a good reason
>> for this?  I would think that 644 and 755 access would be fine for
>> these files, and it would prevent the problems I see with CrashPlan.
>
> That's an upstream build system bug.  Some of the installation scripts
> use cp instead of install and that in turn makes them dependent on umask
> (which doesn't get set aywhere I can easily find).  I guess Adam could
> work around that by setting 'umask 022' in the cygport file, but it
> really should be fixed in git.git.

I looked upstream, and at least some of the files I am concerned about
are installed using "tar" piped to another "tar", with umask 022 set
explicitly.  I think the problem is that the source of this copying
has 600 or 700 permissions.  Not sure if *that* is an upstream problem
or not ...

Regards - Eliot