X11 becomes unresponsive with complex client programs

Jon Turney jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk
Mon Jan 16 14:09:00 GMT 2017

On 14/01/2017 01:38, David Arnstein wrote:
> My cygwin installation can display simple X11 clients such as xterm. A
> complex client such as git-cola, launched from a remote RedHat Linux
> machine, will cause all X11 windows under cygwin to become unresponsive.
> Windows Task Manager says "not responding."
>
> This problem occurs with recent releases of Cygwin/X11. The attached
> cygcheck.out indicates the last X11 version that works well: 1.18-4.1.
> All other cygwin packages are up to date.

Thanks for reporting this problem.

Unfortunately, I couldn't reproduce it.

However, I suspect this may be caused by switching to the smart
scheduler by default in xorg-server 1.19.0-1.

So, the first thing I'd suggest you try is adding -dumbSched to the X
server options to see if this makes a difference (e.g. 'startxwin --
-dumbSched'

--
Jon Turney
Volunteer Cygwin/X X Server maintainer