hang on 'cat /proc/mounts' when one of the network drives is on a 'down' system

L A Walsh cygwin@tlinx.org
Wed Jan 11 04:43:00 GMT 2017

I noticed my local terminals were not opening w/a shell prompt, but
would timeout if I waited long enough...(1-2 minutes? maybe?).

Turns out, one of my mounted net-drives was a down-system, so
if I was trying to access the drive (or content on it), I can see
it hanging.

But what about "cat /proc/mounts" which is dumping out text
like:

Z: /z ntfs binary,user,noumount,auto 1 1

should require accessing and hanging for a few minutes?
Is it determining the network file type?  Wouldn't that
remain constant for a given session (like I doubt that
ntfs would exchange with smbfs and go back on fixed IP
machines).

I've tried using 'timeout', but it doesn't seem to work:

read -t proc_mounts < <(timeout -k 2 1 cat /proc/mounts)

(still hangs)

tnx,
-l