Problem with zombie processes

Doug Henderson djndnbvg@gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 15:06:00 GMT 2017

On 17 February 2017 at 04:00, Erik Bray wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 14, 2017 at 8:25 PM, Mark Geisert wrote:
>> Erik Bray wrote:
>>>
>>> The attached Python script
>>

>> ??
>
> D'oh!  Here is the script.  It at least demonstrates the problem.

If you add a few "time.sleep(1)" statements before and after sending
the kill signals, you should observe consistent behavior. Without the
delay (and forced context switches) the main process may run before
the child process state has settled before and after the kill signals.

On Win7, with the delays, I see consistent behavior for both cases.
Test 1 always succeeds. Test 2 always fails with "IOError or OSError
[Errno 22] invalid argument" for python or python3 (respectively).

While not a explanation of the different results for test1 and test2, I HTH.
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com