diagnostic character info (Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mintty 2.7.4)

Thomas Wolff towo@towo.net
Tue Feb 7 21:00:00 GMT 2017

Am 07.02.2017 um 08:30 schrieb Brian Inglis:
> On 2017-02-06 12:46, Thomas Wolff wrote:
>> Am 05.02.2017 um 21:36 schrieb Brian Inglis:
>>> It may also be useful if mintty had some character hex value box
>>> display mode switch to display the actual codes at each visual
>>> position, or maybe a font used to display the character hex value in
>>> a box, often used in fonts as glyphs for non-printing control
>>> characters and those in the Private Use Area, in which case that could
>>> perhaps be added to the mintty package for use in testing.
>>> I have been searching for such a font with no success so far.
>> Hmm, ... it might be a nice feature.
> Displaying the character set codes passed to the console.
I'm preparing such an option. However, I plan to indicate the actual
Unicode characters effective on the cursor position (i.e. not the
multi-byte encoded characters).

> . Unicode BMP Fallback Font displays each character in the BMP as hex
> within a square box:
I don't see much purpose in using such a font because you won't easily
recognise your actual text anymore.
But if you want that for debugging, there's no specific mintty support
necessary for it.

Cheers
Thomas